Mage: the Awakening
| To err is human, and to forgive divine. And what sins is man heir to. The greater portion of humanity persist through an uncaring a world, a world of suffering and decay; a world where creativity is opposed by the ceaseless grindstone of sustaining the self. Food, shelter, clothing, water, companionship, love-- a soul could spend their life in pursuit of just these basic needs alone and never nurture themselves to greater heights.
This is by design. This is how they are controlled.
For a select few, chosen seemingly at random without respect to creed or color, there is a glimpse of something unfathomably more. Beneath and beyond the world perceived by humanity's sensual self lies the world of the Supernal and the Abyss between it and here. A state of being so potent, a plane of perception so enlightened that even a glimpse of its potential sends the sleeping mind into the denial of quiescence and catapults the awakening mind to new frontiers of perception and understanding. Those who reach the supernal and leave their mark upon what they find there are forever changed by the experience.
They will forever see through the lie. They will forever be capable of the stuff of magic. It only remains for them to decide what they will do with it.
Rules and System
|Please click through to read the House Rules for From Dusk Till Jawn's Mage Sphere.
You can find a handy spell creation tool here. It will automatically tabulate your dice pool and reach for you.
|For A Better Tomorrow:
A human soul in a Perfected body created by the Seers was 'rescued' by a group of Mages. Mark One, or Mark as he is commonly known, seems kind enough, but the general consensus is that he's probably a Trojan horse, intended to activate at some point and destroy the Tree.
Redactor Gardener Has contacted the Guardians of the Veil recently to let them know of a missing Herald from the Consilium of the Fecund Coin. They never reached their destination and no immediate hint of their presence is noticed in Philadelphia. The investigation is ongoing...
|A Rose By Any Other Name:
Both Councilor Baldur of the Unnamed Nation and First Archivist of the Tree Curator Epiphanius of the Mysterium report what everyone can very plainly see with their own eyes: the Martyr's tree has gone into full bloom. Such a flowering has never before been recorded in either the Lorehouse of the Tree, the Lorehouse of the Transmodern, the Consilium Archives, or the Athenaeum. The Archivists, Baldur, and a Delegation of the Emissariate are hard at work in unraveling the cause and meaning behind the sudden alteration of the tree's behavior.
Joining the Sphere
|We try to make life easy. Here are some basic guidelines. You can find the full Approval Guidelines here.
Formatting Your Approval Ticket
- Use the formatting here -- it is required and we will return your ticket to you if you don't use it. This makes sure we don't forget anything.
- Use the template here
- Mage: the Awakening 2.0 core rules + 275 xp
- Order, Consilium, and Assembly Status are all capped at 2 at character creation
- Mages are limited to a maximum of Gnosis 8 at character generation. We would prefer 7 or lower, but 8 is the absolute cap.
- 1 or more Obsessions, according to your Gnosis
- Imbued Items arising from character creation must either be book standard or submitted and approved for play before your character will be approved.
- Familiars must likewise be completed according to the book's guidelines and listed at the bottom of your sheet where appropriate.
- You may not enter play in possession of an Atlantean Artifact.
- You may not enter play with Left-Hand Imbued Items or Grimoires.
- Mages who join an Order get 1 free dot in Order Status. They also receive 1 free dot in Occult, the High Speech Merit, and the attendant Rote Skills.
- Mages who join either the Consilium or the Assembly may claim 1 free dot in either status, but not both. Mages who qualify for membership in both must pay for the dot in the other.
- Forbidden Concepts: Antagonist concepts such as current or former Seers of the Throne, Banishers, Scelesti, or the Mad. (If your character hits Wisdom 0, they will leave your control and become an NPC. Likewise if you wish to make your PC an Archmage.)
- Encouraged Concepts: Mages who wish to work cooperatively within a Consilium or Assembly framework. I won't stop you from being a loner, but the game's themes and plots will be very difficult to engage with from that perspective of play. You will have all the responsibilities of membership and few of the benefits, at least as far as the Consilium is concerned.
- Bullet points are fine; please just give staff enough to work with on crafting stories
- Please include these questions and their answers in your background:
- How old was you character when they Awakened?
- What did your character enjoy most out of the experience? Think big.
- What did your character enjoy least out of the experience? Think big.
- What lesson did your character take away from the experience? Think big.
- How does that experience guide your character now, beyond the obvious? Think big.
- What do you do for your Order, or why don't you currently belong to one?
- Want ties to NPCs? Talk to staff! This is encouraged. You may not purchase True Friend for Setting NPCs. You may purchase Mentor for Setting NPCs with staff approval. Councilors, Hierarch, and Order Heads may not be purchased at character creation.
- If you want to have Order, Assembly, or Consilium status higher than 1, please explain what services you performed to merit this increase.
- You may not enter play with a position within the Consilium. Those will all be earned ICly.
- You may be a newcomer or a longtime resident - please read up on the Lesser Convocation of the Northeast to read about the Martyr's Tree's sister consilii.
- You may only start with a Status 1 or Status 2 position in your order. All other positions must be worked for ICly. No one, regardless of Order Status, is without a position/job/expectations in their Order.
- Please make one, they are mandatory for final approval!
- The page name should be either your character's actual name or their birth name. Your shadowname should appear in the infobox.
- Give us a description for your Long Term and Immediate Nimbus.
- Please list your full title as Recognized by the Consilium. (Examples can be found on the NPC pages.)
- If you need help, please ask on Discord! We can set up a very basic wiki for you to fill out if you need help.
Theme and Society